Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Don't Blink

The girls and I are usually by ourselves for bath time. Because Campbell can't sit up yet (we are close), I've still been bathing her in her little tub in the kitchen. This creates quite a production at bath time. I wasn't feeling up to doing all of that by myself tonight, so I asked Kars if we could try putting Cams in the bathtub with her. Of course she was delighted! It actually went quite well, and Karson was a HUGE help. She got into the tub and began bathing without me even asking. After I finished bathing Campbell, I took her into her room to get her jammies on. While I was doing this, Karson kept us entertained with a play-by-play from the bathroom. ("I'm washing my arms. I'm pouring water over my hair..."). That sweet girl did her whole bath by herself - this is a first! I was so proud of her!

(Look at those rolls on Campbell's tummy - love it!)

In the past month Campbell has grown like crazy. She is now 5 months old - which blows my mind. She is rolling over from her back to her tummy, eating cereal, and trying to sit up by herself. The sitting up is hilarious. She usually sits in a tri-pod position (using her 2 arms to brace her), but sometimes she gets brave and decides to sit up further with no support from her arms. I had forgotten how cute this looked from when Karson did it. Why is it so funny to watch a little "round-bottomed" baby try to balance and then eventually start to crash over? Maybe those of us at the Zumwalt house are just easily amused!
The whole evening has made me quite sentimental and nostalgic. This is not unusual for me, but sometimes it hits harder than others. Tonight, it was as if God was saying to me, "Life is passing, don't blink or you'll miss it."

When I was a little girl, my mom used to sit and hold my hands. She would run her fingers over the "holes" (the little dimples where your fingers meet your hand). She told me that those holes would eventually go away as I grew bigger. Now, you must know that I was the little girl who never wanted to grow up. I would sit in my room or in the car and bend my fingers back trying to keep the holes from going away. Recently I told Karson about the holes in her hands and how that meant that she was Mommy's little girl. I explained that as she grew, the holes would go away. Now, she likes to tease me by stretching her fingers out to see if they will disappear (she must not be from the "I don't want to grow up" school of thought).
(Ignore my photography. I was trying my best to get as close as possible. I had to wait to take one of Campbell while she was sleeping. It looks like I turned her upside down!)

















Time goes on. I'm sure one day Karson and Campbell will be sitting with their babies talking about the holes in their hands. It's the natural order of things. Sometimes I just wish it didn't have to go so fast.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sometimes still think about holes in my precious children's hands!


Love, MOM

Mommy Pose said...

Oh, what a sweet post. And I love that picture of Kars holding Campbell Brown in the tub. Her smile is so sweet!!! And she looks like a big helper. Mia, on the other hand, just points out when Cole's peeing. :)